[tex-live] new release of latex-unicode

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Apr 20 00:09:53 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-19 at 23:17:50 +0300, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

 > Am Mittwoch, den 18.04.2012, 23:51 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
 > > If someone uses control sequences like \ohorn in macro packages
 > > already, does he have to change them to \horn o when using ucs?
 >
 > No. The ucs package doesn’t change the way \horn, \ohorn, etc. work. It
 > just ensures that whenever TeX encounters a Unicode character outside
 > the ASCII range in the LaTeX file, this is interpreted as a certain
 > piece of LaTeX code. The question is whether Ơ, ơ, Ư, and ư should be
 > interpreted as \OHORN, \ohorn, \UHORN, and \uhorn, or whether they
 > should be interpreted as \horn O, \horn o, \horn U, and \horn u. With
 > either solution, the user can use the macros \horn, \OHORN, \ohorn,
 > \UHORN, and \uhorn directly as usual.

This sounds fine.

 > > Since I can't oversee the impact of the change, it's better to test
 > > it.  VnTeX provides a bunch of test files in the directory
 > >
 > >   texmf-dist/source/generic/vntex/tests
 >
 > I’ve tested test-babel.tex and test-vietnam.tex, which are the files
 > that use ucs. Both seem to work fine.
 >
 > > Maybe it's advisable to repeat the test with all the other sections
 > > and LaTeX's utf8 commented out, just in order to make sure that the
 > > ucs test doesn't see control sequences defined by other packages.
 >
 > At least, the following minimal example works as expected:
 >
 > > \documentclass{article}
 > >
 > > \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
 > > \usepackage[vietnam]{babel}
 > >
 > > \begin{document}
 > >
 > > Ơ, ơ, Ư, ư
 > >
 > > \end{document}

Sounds fine too.

 > I wasn’t able to derive an analog minimal example, which uses the
 > vietnam package. Maybe, I just have no proper understanding of how to
 > use the vietnam package. I got complaints about missing babel
 > definitions for vietnam and such.

Could you send me your .tex and .log files?

The following file works for me.  It has to be run in

  texmf-dist/source/generic/vntex/tests

due to the \input commands which refer to files which are not in TeX's
search tree.

\documentclass[openany]{book}
\usepackage[utf8x]{vietnam}
\usepackage{multicol}
\begin{document}

\title{\bfseries Test of Vietnamese support for \LaTeX{} using \texttt{vietnam.sty}}
\author{H\`an Th\'\ecircumflex{} Th\`anh}
\maketitle

\tableofcontents\listoffigures

\chapter{Test input encodings}
\section[Test of UTF8x encoding support]
   {Test of UTF8x encoding support (from Unicode package)}

\input{test-utf8}

\clearpage
\appendix

\chapter{Test of Vietnamese captions}
\input{test-captions}

\chapter{Test of accent commands for T5 encoding}
\input{test-accents}

\end{document}