[tex-live] Updating TeXLive 2010 using tlgmr

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:50:59 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:36, SKL wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Tex Live 2010 Basic installed (on the Mac, using MacTex), and I would like to update it with some style files that are missing using tlmgr (esint.sty to be precise). When running it I am told that the repository is for TL2011. How can I update my TL2010 version?

TL repositories are removed when the new version is released. You
could try using
    http://ctan.ijs.si/archive/texlive/2010/tlnet/
as a repository, but there is no guarantee yet that it would keep working.

> PS. In case someone suggests it, I have upgraded to TL2011 Basic. However, I am using XeTeX (because I want to use the Apple fonts, not the TeX fonts) and this seems to be broken in the LT Basic version (the Latin Modern fonts seem to be missing - not too sure, I am way too noob to understand LaTeX error messages). I dont have enough disk space for the full TL2011 installation which might (or might not...) solve the problem.

The Latin Modern fonts are most certainly there, but they are not
installed to system folders. You could use them, but you need a
different syntax. A simple \fontspec{Latin Modern} won't do since
XeTeX cannot search for font names in texmf tree.

> Bonus question: how can I install the Latin Modern fonts with minimal overhead on TL2011 Basic?

Locate them (if you installed MacTeX, they are under
/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/; if you
installed manually, you should be able to locate them under the same
subpath), double click on (all) otf files (that is: open them with
Font Book) and click install.

Alternatively you can copy all the files from that folder to ~/Library/Fonts.

Mojca