[tex-live] Messed up TL installation

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Oct 31 22:36:53 CET 2011

On 2011-10-30 at 13:47:59 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

 > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 07:54:12AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
 > > On Fr, 28 Okt 2011, Haines Brown wrote:
 > > >   Segmentation fault
 > >
 > > Ouch. But no idea how this could happen,and why?
 > >
 > > Can you please turn of a virus scanner during installation?
 > > The problem is that sometimes virus scanners etc hold locks onto
 > > directories and that might create problems.
 >
 > I had to be away and came back to find that the download had failed
 > for a second time. Took four tries before I had a complete
 > installation (tested it; it works).

These random segfaults could be caused by hardware failures (main memory).

It happened to me occasionally when I was editing huge files with
Emacs.  I loaded the core files into gdb and ran a stack backtrace.
It turned out that Emacs crashed at random places.  After inserting
the hard drive into another machine, the problem never occurred again.

AFAIR, the boot menu of the Knoppix CD offers a program called memtest
or memtest86.  Maybe it's worth a try.

 > I don't think I have any virus scanning (don't run windows).

The said problem is related to Windows, not to virus scanners in general.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25