[tex-live] Fontconfig for XeTeX versus regular fontconfig

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Oct 30 11:10:05 CET 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:40:35AM +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2011, at 22:44, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:39:13PM +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> >> I believe the worst of the problems with xetex/xdvipdfmx font
> >> mismatches due to multiple versions of the same-named font could
> >> actually be fixed fairly easily, by modifying xetex so that (when
> >> using fontconfig to find fonts) it always writes the absolute path to
> >> the font file into the xdv output (as if the font had been specified
> >> by absolute pathname in the source document).
> >
> > It turned out not that hard, the attached (very minimal patch) will
> > cause xetex to always write the full path to the XDV file (or so shows
> > the dviasm I patched, which makes me feel very confident :p) No idea
> > how this would affect xdv2pdf, though.
>
> It would break xetex on macosx (whether using xdvipdfmx or xdv2pdf),
> where getFontFilename(engine) will often return NULL.
>
> Yes, the change is not hard, as I said earlier, but it does need to be
> done with care. Probably something like this (untested) would work:

But this leaves the original issue partially unfixed, may be we would
instead make sure getFontFilename(engine) returns a file name, if
xdvipdfmx can resolve a file name the font name, then surely xetex can,
or does sdvipdfmx use some system API that returns font data from
memory? (off to check the code :) )

[...]

> (BTW, the xetex list would be a better forum to discuss xetex bugs and patches.)

I'm not subscribed to xetex list, also I'm building xetex from texlive
svn tree since xetex's svn does not build for me, so may be I'd need
texlive help at some point.

Regards,
 Khaled