[tex-live] Fontconfig for XeTeX versus regular fontconfig

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Oct 27 16:46:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 03:51:26PM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> > The right answer here is to fix XeTeX.
>
> Yes, it would be really useful if the communication between xetex
> and xdvipdfmx could be improved in this respect - or at least if
> they would search fonts in the same way. And if one could tell
> xetex/xdvipdfmx to prefer e.g. otf- over ttf-fonts.

I once thought the solution here is for xetex to always pass the
resolved font file path in the XDV file instead of font name, so that
xdvipdfmx does not have to implement a separate font name lookup, but
Jonathan told me this wouldn't work (I don't recall the details, should
be somewhere in XeTeX's mailing list archives).

Regards,
 Khaled