[tex-live] Messed up TL installation

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Thu Oct 27 19:24:32 CEST 2011

Norbert let me first thank you for your extensive instructions and
also for the delay in my response (could not take a break from my
work).

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:01:45AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

> You should follow very simple steps now:
> - first REMOVE  TeX Live 2011 from ALL PATH (bashrc, ...) EVERYWHERE
> - log out and in
> - become root
> - make sure that you don't have TL2011 in the path
> now we start fixing your installation of Debian
> - Try the following commands, sometimesin different orders, several times
>   until it seems tobe settled:
> 	aptitude -f install
> 	dpkg --configure -a
> That should install TL2009 again (BUT DON'T MIND THAT!!) and you should
> get a fixed installation.
> (why remove TL2011 from the path: because otherwise the calls to tex
> /pdftex/fmtutil etc are allreferring to TL2011, whcih is a bug)

I followed these directions without any problem.

> Now we get TL2011 integrated. I assume from what you have written
> that you installed it as root (btw, if you are the only user on the
> computer, it is MUCH more reliable to install it as you yourself,
> so you can easily use tlmgr.You can also achieve that now by just
> 	chown -R youruid.yourgid /usr/local/texlive
> as root)

That is correct, I had installed it as root, and now proceed to
install the TL2011 as user as you suggest. I'm informed the default
destination folder (value of TEXDIR) is /usr/local/texlive/2011, but
that location not writable by user. So I change TEXDIR to
~/texlive/2011 and the installation is now proceeding.

Haines Brown