[tex-live] apparent bug in detex

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu Oct 27 18:32:25 CEST 2011

On Oct 27 13:12:34, Kristen Eisenberg wrote:

> There appears to be a bug in the version of detex distributed with TL
> 2010. At least, I see the problem and it has been confirmed by others
> on the mactex list. Essentially, detex removes the contents of
> footnotes included as \footnote{this is a footnote} when running in
> LaTeX mode.
>
> So if my test file contains the line:
> Test\footnote{ a footnote}  \emph{it} quickly.
> then detex gives:
> Test  a footnote  it quickly.
> but detex -l gives:
> Test   it quickly.
> And the same problem occurs if LaTeX mode is selected automatically
> for a LaTeX document. Others on the mactex list were responsible for
> pinpointing the issue. I just found it didn't work as I expected.

I am not sure if this intentional or not.

TL2010 and TL2011 use detex-2.8 with detex.l defining
     <Normal>"\\footnote"    {KILLARGS(1); SPACE;}
whereas TL20109 used an older version with
     <Normal>"\\footnote"    {SPACE;}

Might be the KILLARGS actually ought to be STRIPARGS?

If indeed a bug, it would have been nice to have this reported and fixed
early enough for TL2011.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>