[tex-live] failed messages on updating texlive2011

Bob Plantz plantz at cds1.net
Fri Oct 21 17:50:17 CEST 2011

On 10/21/2011 03:39 AM, ravi wrote:
> Hi list experts,
> Thanks for replies and inputs from a number of experts. Yes, I must
> plead guilty to being a total rookie as far as bash and linux are
> concerned. Some of you are right when you state that you cannot expect
> to hand-hold and baby-sit for people about linux fundamentals. Thanks
> for some of links that I obtained for brushing up on linux basics. I
> do plan to look it up. That said, there is so much stuff out there
> that I get overwhelmed. If I start with something, make a mistake or
> two and then if I get nudged towards what is right, my learning path
> becomes easier. So, what I am saying is - thanks. By all means, yell
> at me and point me to me to some links for me to do my homework. But I
> would appreciate if you had a little, little bit of patience with me.

I spent the last 21 years of my career as a university CS Prof., after
working in industry for 20 years. Patience is nearly as important in
teaching as being an expert. However, not all people like to teach. The
students I enjoyed the most were not the brilliant ones who seemed to
already know everything, but the ones who asked "dumb" questions, then
took my pointers and worked on learning the material. They were the ones
who validated my work. A lot of experts I have met (unfortunately, some
university professors) simply prefer interacting with other experts.

I also enjoyed what I learned from thinking about how to answer the
"dumb" questions. These were the questions that forced me to clarify my
own understanding of the material. They also reminded me of my own
ignorance at some point in my life. Throughout my teaching career, I had
to constantly remind myself of what it was like being a rookie, for
that's what most of my students were. That, after all, was the reason
they were in my class. But it did require a lot of patience from me, and
I did sometimes lose it.

--Bob