[tex-live] TEXMFHOME when using install-tl on a Mac

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:03:04 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>    We can in *principle* set the installer up that when it is running
>    on Mac it selects ~/Library/texmf as TEXMFHOME and maybe the other
>    changes, too.
>
> I don't like it.  I think the defaults in install-tl should not depend
> on the current platform.  The whole point of native TL is to be as
> consistent as possible across platforms.  I recognize there is this very
> strong ~/Library convention on Macs, but still, my opinion remains
> unaltered.  Sorry.

I agree -- TL developers/maintainers have enough platform-specific
issues already.  Making configuration defaults depend on the platform
should be done only when needed to avoid actual breakage.  Users of
FOSS should expect some compromises of this sort.  If a change is
needed, then MacTeX should provide an option to install
without admin. privs.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia