[tex-live] texi2dvi in executable path?

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Oct 3 21:57:11 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 08:06:19PM +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > texinfo was removed from TeX Live a few years ago, but may be available as a
> > (nonfree!) package if you are using linux, macports on MacOS X, etc.
>
> texinfo _is_ in tex live, and has never, to my knowledge, been out of it
> since sebastian put together the very first one.  a non-free package for
> texinfo, or for texi2dvi, would seem eccentric, since both are licensed
> gpl.

I was not quite accurate. There is no texinfo format, but there _is_
a texinfo macro package, and it is still in TL.

On my Ubuntu system I have a package texinfo-doc-nonfree. Debian has
its own standard of free. The converters and some of the
documentation are Debian-free, but other pieces of the documentation
are not.

--
Siep Kroonenberg