[tex-live] Request for adding a package to TeXLive

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 11:08:26 CET 2011

Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:14:12 +0000 schrieb Robin Fairbairns:
>
> > Andreas Löffler <andreas.loeffler at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am one of the maintainers of a new package that provides the layout for
> >> a scientific journal in business administration:
> >> [1]http://www.ctan.org/pkg/business-research I would like to have the
> >> package added to miktex. What is necessary to achieve this?
> >
> > in answer to your subject line, one crucial issue is a clear free
> > licence.  it seems that we (ctan) didn't believe your first upload
> > satisfied that.
>
> While looking at the font setup of this packages: Did you (as CTAN)
> realized the name clashes with the winfonts package? There are now 2
> t1tahoma.fd and t1georgia.fd on CTAN.
>
> Also the package contains an T1-WGL4.enc which on my system exists
> already in /fonts/enc/ttf2pk/base/t1-wgl4.enc.

sigh.  as a general rule, we don't detect that sort of thing -- it would
need scripting to be reliable, and development time[*] is not a resource we
have a lot of.

i'm rather concerned that the package has droppings of a conversion
process (i presume that's what's going on) but i really can't bring
myself to worry that i didn't notice a clash with a package that i don't
use, and that only exists on the archive inside a .zip.

(i wonder if there's a valid reason _not_ to use xetex for this
package?  creating pk files from ttfs is _so_ last century.)

[*] note, i retire in 2014, and if i can keep the cambridge archive
going afterwards, development time may become slightly free-er, then, if
ctan hasn't already collapsed for lack of support.  i certainly couldn't
run the whole netwok on my own -- rainer and i can barely keep up as it
is.