[tex-live] [lltx] Location of recorder file

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Fri May 13 16:33:29 CEST 2011

Am 13.05.2011 um 13:15 schrieb Heiko Oberdiek:

> I think LuaTeX is right. The quotes can be regular characters
> of a filename. pdfTeX don't compile files with quotes:
>  bash$ pdftex --ini quot\"ed.tex
> fails with
>  ! Unbalanced quotes in argument quot"ed.tex
>
> Unhappily LuaTeX has inherited this behaviour of pdfTeX.
>
> Fixing one problem with one character by creating a problem
> with another character does not make sense to me.
> Now two characters cannot be used in file names. :-(

I think you're right, and I'll try to prepare a patch for LuaTeX to
1. remove the special treatment of quotes in file names,
2. have \jobname expand to catcode-12-only tokens, as David suggested,
3. have the to-be-deprecated syntax without braces require a catcode-10 token to stop the scan.
I think this could solve most of the issues.

BTW, this problem has already been discussed on the AucTeX side [1], apparently without a fix so far.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-auctex/2011-02/msg00001.html