[tex-live] bug in install-tl texlive2010-2010082 for dvips paper size to letter

jean-pierre moreau jpmoreau at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 08:09:55 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>      install-tl does NOT build texlive/2010/texmf-config/ls-R
> . . .
> I can appreciate the confusion and frustration when the paper size
> setting doesn't work, but don't have any new ideas how to proceed.  I
> already sent all my ideas for debugging in my previous reply ...

Oh! Confusion was mine, determining if I did something obtuse, and
in looking what can have happened, and 'reading' the Perl scripts, which
I repeat I don't know anything.
I re-looked at install-tl of texlive2010-20100802.iso. After some browsing,
I searched 'paper', and found

========= Begin from 'install-tl' ==============
# now work through the options if specified at all

# letter instead of a4
if ($vars{'option_letter'}) {
  # set paper size, but do not execute any post actions, in this case
  # it would be:
  #   - mktexlsr
  #   - fmtutil-sys -all
  info("setting default paper size to letter\n");
  log(`tlmgr --no-execute-actions paper letter 2>&1`);
}

# now rerun mktexlsr for updmap-sy and tlmgr paper letter updates
info("re-running mktexlsr $TEXMFSYSVAR\n");
system('mktexlsr', "$TEXMFSYSVAR");
========= End from 'install-tl' ==============

Should it not be TEXMFSYSCONFIG instead of TEXMFSYSVAR?
This is TEXMFSYSCONFIG that contains .../texlive/2010/texmf-config/ dir
where the modified config.ps of dvips for US letter is located.

Hope it can help.

( By the way, I replied to your message (with 'Reply to all' for
  the 'cc: tex-live at tug.org'), not being subscribed to the
  subscribed but not sure this will go to the mailing too .)

Best regards, and thanks.

--
Jean-Pierre Moreau