[tex-live] Testing and Upgrading on Windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Tue Jun 28 22:55:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 02:53:48PM +0200, texlive.jlists at spamgourmet.com wrote:

> [...]

We are about at final freeze. Any new fixes now won't make it to
the dvd, but after release fixes can be applied to the net
installer and other components.

> Firstly, installation *from* a path with spaces fails. Tl-install fails to
> find xz (probably perl as well - I could not determine which perl got used
> in the end.) and thus fails to extract the downloaded containers.

I could not reproduce this. Are you sure the zipfile got unpacked
correctly?

> On a second attempt, from a path without spaces, installation got until
> tlperl and there failed as
>
> Installing [856/931, time/total: 44:41/49:35]: tlgs.win32 [10574k]
> Installing [857/931, time/total: 44:53/48:58]: tlperl.win32 [9055k]
> tar: Could not change access and modification times of tlpkg/tlperl:
> Permission denied
> untar: untarring C:\Programs\Documents\TeXLive\2011\temp\tlperl.win32.tar
> failed  (in C:\Programs\Documents\TeXLive\2011)
> untarring C:\Programs\Documents\TeXLive\2011\temp\tlperl.win32.tar failed,
> stopping install.
> Installation failed.
> Rerunning the installer will try to restart the installation.
> Or you can restart by running the installer with:
>   install-tl.bat --profile installation.profile [EXTRA-ARGS]
> Writing log file to current working directory.
> Press any key to continue . . .

We are familiar with random `Permission denied' errors on Windows
and are still at a loss what to do about them.

>  Welcome to TeX Live!
> D:Remove temporary downloaded containers...
> Can't unlink file
> C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/temp/tlperl.win32.tar.xz: Permission
> denied at
> C:/Users/Dominic/Downloads/Downloaded/Documents/TeXLive/install-tl-20110627/
> tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 830.
> Can't remove directory C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/temp: Directory
> not empty at
> C:/Users/Dominic/Downloads/Downloaded/Documents/TeXLive/install-tl-20110627/
> tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 810.
> D:Profile written to
> C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/tlpkg/texlive.profile
> Logfile: C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/install-tl.log
> Press any key to continue . . .
>
> There seems to be some race-condition. To avoid these, I think an option is
> to use some directory inside %TEMP% (eg. %TEMP%/texlive) as location for
> temporary files instead of some place within %programsdir%.

Why do you think this might help? This is a real question, not an
attempt at sarcasm.

--
Siep Kroonenberg