[tex-live] Installing TeX live on MacOS X

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 20:01:27 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:
>>   * Too many fonts are missing the Unicode HYPHEN character, so I give up.
>>     Render "-" as HYPHEN-MINUS (ASCII 0x2D) by default. (Of course, manual
>>     pages using "-" when they should be using "\-" should still be fixed.)"
>>
>> This comes from the groff README.debian (attached)
>
>  But note that the offending character precisely isn't U+2010 HYPHEN,
> it's U+2212 MINUS SIGN.  Curiouser and curiouser...

Apple wouldn't want to literally copy debian.  I looked for something like
the entry mentioned in the READEM.debian but didn't find it, so Apple
may have a completely different approach.   I did discover "LESSCHARSET":

On macosx you can easily see the problem:

LESSCHARSET=latin1 /usr/local/texlive/2011/install-tl -help
[...]
The most up?<80><90>to?<80><90>date version ...

With the same command on debian the text looks fine.

A workaround for MacOSX is:

PERLDOC=-otext /usr/local/texlive/2011/install-tl -help

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia