[tex-live] Location of Lua files

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 9 19:44:02 CEST 2011

Am 09.07.2011 um 18:27 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

> Le 09/07/2011 16:44, Philipp Stephani a écrit :
>> the lualatex-math package consists of a LaTeX package file
>> (lualatex-math.sty) and a Lua module (lualatex-math.lua). The latter is
>> placed in texmf-dist/scripts/lualatex-math. When there is a newer version in
>> the TEXMFHOME tree, the Lua file is not found,
>
> Really? I cannot reproduce that:
>
> % kpsewhich lualatex-math.lua
> /home/mpg/texmf/scripts/lualatex-math/lualatex-math.lua

The Makefile copies everything into the .../tex/... tree, that causes the problem.
It would be fixed by aligning the directory structures of CTAN and the Makefile were aligned.
More generally, have you thought about modifying the search order so that the home tree is always searched before the system tree regardless of the subdirectory?

>> I think the Lua file should not be in the /scripts/ directory
>> because it is not an executable script, but I'm unsure about the exact
>> conventions for Lua modules.
>>
> I don't think there is a universally accepted convention about that. Some
> package authors place the files in scripts, some in tex, when they provide a
> tds.zip archive: in this case, we don't mess with their choice. Otherwise, I'm
> not sure if we have a clear policy. (Well, currently "we" means Karl since he is
> the only one updating packages.)

In my case "make install" installs the Lua file in .../tex/..., not in /scripts/. Furthermore, the Lua file is not intended to be executed (e.g. it has no intepreter line), but is installed with executable permissions by TeX Live. I think I'd prefer having it in /tex/ (like luaotfload.lua, fontspec.lua), and it should not be executable.