[tex-live] Perl problem in tlmgr

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jan 28 01:10:17 CET 2011

Hi Nelson,

    I've run a system call trace, but so far, have been unable to locate
    where the @INC path is set.

It's in the BEGIN block of tlmgr.pl (the unshift(@INC)'s at the end),
because it has to be determined dynamically from the location of tlmgr.
Plus the path provided by Perl itself, of course.  But this doesn't
matter, see below.

    ARE present
    elsewhere in the TeX Live directory tree, in
    /usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/tlperl/lib/.

That's the "internal" Perl we include for Windows only.  Thus the tlperl
directories are intentionally not searched for Unix; that could lead to
more problems than solutions.

For Unix, we have always assumed that the few modules we need are
installed.  I'm surprised that your amd64 system doesn't have
Digest/MD5.pm; it's been around for ages as a standard part of the Perl
install, as far as I know.  (5.005 days, at least, and you've got
something a lot newer than that.)

Maybe 5.12.2 is so new that the Perl people in their wisdom have decided
that nobody should be using MD5.pm any more and thus aren't shipping it?
Can you take a quick look at that?

    I really don't want to blow away a big installation tree and reinstall
    from scratch

Indeed, installing TL from scratch would end up in exactly the same
place, as far as I can see.

    when likely only a single configuration file somewhere
    needs a trivial one-line edit.

Nope, there is no such configuration file ...

Sorry,