[tex-live] Hi! I don't arrive to build texlive from the source, could you help me?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 13:24:56 CET 2011

On  23 Jan, 2011, at 05:01, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> 2011/1/23 Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at mac.com>:
>> [...]
>>
>> Personally, I always install with administrative privileges (sudo), so I don't know how to do it any other way.
>>

> You may have problems with sudo. I saw bug reports that "tlmgr update"
> does not work which was most probably caused by the fact that after
> sudo PATH is not set properly.

I understand it might not be the best practice under Linux or Windows, but I'm a Gerben Wierda pupil on the Mac, and by default his distribution required administrator privileges to install. So now that's how I do it under Linux.

Even on Windows, I execute the Command Prompt as administrator to install and update TeXLive.

>> [...]
>> Also, you say you installed TeXLive on Ubuntu running in a virtual machine running under Windows. You can install TeXLive under Windows as well ---though I don't work on Windows (I have it as a safety net), I made the installation without any problem whatsoever.
>>

> Yes, just install binaries both for Windows and Linux, make the
> directory (probably C:\TeXLive) shared and accessible in the Linux VM
> and set PATH.

What I really meant was to install TL under Windows and *work* with the Windows binaries and applications, instead of under a virtual machine.

Best

Axel