[tex-live] [bug] apparent pstricks and graphicx incompatibility in plain tex

Christopher Genovese genovese at cmu.edu
Mon Jan 10 23:16:04 CET 2011

Running texlive 2010 on a Mac running OS X 10.5.8 to update some old
documents
(which were originally processed fine with texlive 2007).  But tex fails in
running
them in the new version.  The files use a format built on plain TeX.

I have reduce the problem to the following, using plain TeX only

 \input pstricks
>  \input graphicx
>
>  \psset{unit=1pc}
>
>  \bye

This file produces the following error message:

! xkeyval error: [ undefined.
> \XKV at err #1->\errmessage {xkeyval error: #1}
>
> \KV at split ...x \KV at errx {\@tempa \space undefined}
>                                                   \else \ifx \@empty
> #3\@emp...
>
> \KV at do ...lax #1\empty \else \KV at split #1==\relax
>                                                   \expandafter \KV at do \fi
> \setkeys ...{KV@#1@}\let \@tempc \relax \KV at do #2,
>                                                   \relax ,
> \pss at t [#1]#2->\setkeys +[
>                           psset]{#1}{#2}\ignorespaces
> <*> \psset{unit=1pc}

Note that all this worked in the earlier texlive version.
Note also that if I reverse the order of inputs for pstricks and graphicx,
the bug is even weirder:

Forbidden control sequence found while scanning definition of \XKV at d@f at ne
> @b at olkey.
>
> --- TeX said ---
> <inserted text>
>                 }
> <to be read again>
>                    \newif
> l.448   \expandafter\newif
>                           \csname if#3\endcsname

In the original order, any pstricks information generates errors.

I haven't had a chance to go deep into the code to see what is happening
because I'm preparing my lecture for tomorrow. :)  Am I missing something
about the update to pstricks?

Either way, such a drastic change looks like a bug to me.

Any help would be appreciated including,
if appropriate, workarounds.  The best option I'm seeing at the moment is to
reactivate texlive-2007
because I use the pstricks and graphicx combination a lot!  But I'd rather
not do that if it can
be helped.

Thanks.