[tex-live] Palatino / figbas

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 19:38:59 CET 2011

2011/1/10 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:26:09PM -0500, Bob Tennent wrote:
>>  >|I originally reported this as a bug to OpenSuse, who have replied saying
>>  >|that I
>>  >|need to take it "upstream", which I think means you guys.
>>  >|
>>  >|When I viewed web pages with Palatino fonts (in any web browser) I
>>  >|was seeing
>>  >|strange versions of the digits 2, 4, 5, 6 and 9.  I eventually traced
>>  >|this to
>>  >|the file /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/figbas/plrj.pfb - deleting
>>  >|that
>>  >|file and rebuilding the font cache fixed the issue.
>>

>> I'm the developer of the figbas fonts. The information in the .pfb file
>> says that the Fontname is FiguredBassPalatino and the Family Name is
>> Palatino. It seems that SUSE is using this font for rendering digits.
>> I'm not familiar with how SUSE selects fonts but I think this is their
>> issue. As far as I know, the font information is correct; if not I'll
>> change it but I'll need authoritative guidance.
>
> The family name should be the same as fontname, else certain
> applications and libraries will recognise it as a "Palatino"
>
> P.S. I don't think you can, legally, use the name Palatino because it is
> trademarked, not even Zapf himself were able to use it for the version
> he designed with URW.

TeX Gyre team originally wanted to use the same name just with
prepending TeX Gyre, i.e. TeX Gyre Palatino, TeX Gyre Times etc. but
there were complaints from the authors of the trade marks. That's why
the font names are different. It was presented this wat at the TUG
meeting in Marrakech in 2006.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/