[tex-live] fmutil-sys fails on MacOSX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jan 8 00:15:48 CET 2011

    jrmMac 2: sudo which fmtutil
    Password:
    /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin/fmtutil

"which" doesn't prove it, because fmtutil is being called as a
subprocess.  Therefore the question is what the PATH is at the time it
is called.  The which cmd can be implemented in lots of different ways,
and isn't a reliable indicator of anything in particular.

I suggest a more direct test, like temporarily modifying
/usr/bin/fmtutil (or wherever your other fmtutil(s) is(are)) to simply say
#!/bin
echo "I am the system fmtutil" >&2
exit 1

and see what happens.  I bet it is being executed.

    fmtutil: fmtutil: unknown option `--no-error-if-no-format'.

If you look in /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin/fmtutil, I
surmise you will see the couple simple lines of sh that deals with the
"--no-error-if-no-format" option.  If that string doesn't appear in the
script, that means your TL fmtutil is somehow an old/wrong/strange
version -- that's a different problem.

If the string does occur (as I expect it does), then you are
definitively executing some other fmtutil.

HTH,