[tex-live] [texhax] client connection limit

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:15:14 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Javier Iglesias
<javier.iglesias at vd.educanet2.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, many thanks for your support to the TeX Community ;-)
> and Season Greetings !
>

> Updating our computer lab classroom this morning [1]
> using the TeX Live Utility on Mac (v0.91), I consistently get
> a "Listing Failed" with the following message :

First, this is definitely question to the different list "texlive tug"
- where I copy my answer

> Specifying an explicit CTAN mirror doesn't help.
>

> The problem is that all schools (of all grades !) of my Canton [2]
> (700'000 inhabitants) access Internet through the following IP:
>
>   193.5.240.1    peda.vd.ch
>

> Therefore, is there anything we could do to be granted a larger
> client connection count limit ? As it is, it really limits our ability
> to maintain computer labs...

I believe that each mirror has its own policy inherited from the
server it is running on and the single IP generates the host of the
problems (f.e. vandalism from one IP may have everybody banned from
some particular website).

I would either ask for such favour an administration of the server in
Switzerland (switch.ch ?) or to create your own schoolboard restricted
mirror

HTH

Victor