[tex-live] windows multiple tl versions

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Dec 26 22:03:44 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:51:18AM +0000, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 26/12/2011 01:33, Karl Berry wrote:
> > Siep or anyone,
> >
> > Suppose I install vanilla TL 2010 on a Windows machine.
> > Now suppose I install vanilla TL 2011 on that same Windows machine.
> >
> > Do any conflicts result?
> > How about if I do it in the other order/
> >
> > I know (I think) that the files will end up in different directories,
> > just as they do on Unix.  But what about the registry or other Windows
> > magic?  Does 2011 overwrite something global from 2010, such that you
> > cannot switch simply by changing the path?
> >
> > Put another way, for complete confidence, is it necessary to uninstall
> > one version before installing another, on Windows?  I think/hope the
> > answer is no, but a user asked me, and I realized I wasn't sure.
> >
> > The Administration section of http://tug.org/texlive/windows.html has
> > the weasel words "(at least)".  So, still not sure.
> >
> > The Windows registry section in the manual talks about interesting
> > registry keys in the abstract, but not what TL sets (if it sets
> > anything).  So, still not sure.
> >
> >>From windows.html I realize there is this distinction of where the new
> > directory is auto-added to the Windows PATH.  That's fine.  I'm worried
> > about things that make changing the PATH insufficient.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Hello Karl,
>
> I have no issues switching between different TeX Live installations on
> Windows. A quick look at the Registry suggests that there are no
> critical settings there for TL. (I assume the uninstall information is
> set, but that should not be relevant here.)
> --
> Joseph Wright

When you use TL from the command-line there is no problem if you are
willing to manage the searchpath yourself. Also, 2010 and 2011 each
get their own uninstall registry entries so you can uninstall them
in either order.

But there is a conflict with associating a file type with a program.
2010 and 2011 associate extensions with the same filetype, but
associate the filetype with different programs viz. the 2010- and
the 2011 versions. The last one installed wins.

Should we add a release tag to the file types?

I guess TexWorks might get confused if you do not modify its
searchpath. It seems to compose its searchpath from its own location
and from the Windows searchpath, so the 2010 TeXWorks might end up
using the 2010 perl with the 2011 <root>bin/win32.

So, it depends on how you use TL.

--
Siep Kroonenberg