[tex-live] TeX Live 2011 License Audit - Non Free Items [01/02]

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Dec 17 04:37:30 CET 2011

On 12/16/2011 07:58 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
> Again, I don't expect you or your lawyers to change their minds.  These
> are not legal arguments.  But I hope you can agree that it is not
> completely indefensible for me to consider the license free as it
> stands.  TL remains as license-paranoid as ever.

I think the problem is that when poorly written license are discovered,
but there is minimal or no insight into the intent of the original
author, the FSF has not found those licenses to be Free. Heck, even in
cases where the intent of the original license author is known, but the
license is written poorly (e.g. Artistic 1), the FSF has determined that
the license is non-free.

We could settle this "dispute" by sending the floatflt license to the
FSF for review. If they say it is Free, Fedora will stand behind them.

~tom

==
Fedora Project