[tex-live] request: rsync & non-usable svn repository URL

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Aug 17 01:22:07 CEST 2011

        svn switch --relocate \
            file:///home/svn/texlive \
            svn://tug.org/texlive
    a single time on the server where rsync://tug.org/tldevsrc fetches its

There is only one canonical checkout on tug.org.  It's used for
rsync tldevsrc, the web browsing interface, the nightly build, the
yearly releases, and more.

This change would mean every operation on that canonical checkout would
go through the svn network server instead of the filesystem.  Perhaps
the difference would be unnoticeable, but I confess I'm not inclined to
experiment with it.

Alternatives that come to mind, though I suspect neither will satisfy you:

1) Run the full svn update from cron at a time when you are asleep
   (though admittedly there doesn't actually seem to be any such time :).

2) I don't know if it would work, but it seems like it would be simple
   (and fast) to write a script that replaces file:///home/svn/texlive
   with svn://tug.org/texlive in the entries files.

Sorry ...