[tex-live] Synctex in TL 2011 requiring redundant /./

Kevin Klement klement at philos.umass.edu
Tue Aug 16 21:50:06 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I've been having an issue with SyncTeX since upgrading to TL 2011, and
was wondering if it's a bug or a "feature".

I was urged to report it here after asking about it on the
TeX.stackexchange site:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/25578/why-is-synctex-in-tl-2011-so-fussy-about-filenames

It has to do with synctex not only requiring the full pathname now
when doing synctex view, but requiring a redundant /./ in the path
name. To see what I mean, let scratch.tex be:

 \documentclass{article}
 \begin{document}
 Hello world
 \end{document}

Now, look at the results of the following from the command line:

kck at kck-desktop ~/tmp $ pdflatex -synctex=1 scratch.tex &>/dev/null
kck at kck-desktop ~/tmp $ synctex view -i 3:1:scratch.tex -o scratch.pdf
This is SyncTeX command line utility, version 1.2
SyncTeX Warning: No tag for scratch.tex
kck at kck-desktop ~/tmp $ synctex view -i 3:1:./scratch.tex -o scratch.pdf
This is SyncTeX command line utility, version 1.2
SyncTeX Warning: No tag for ./scratch.tex
kck at kck-desktop ~/tmp $ synctex view -i 3:1:/home/kck/tmp/scratch.tex
-o scratch.pdf
This is SyncTeX command line utility, version 1.2
SyncTeX Warning: No tag for /home/kck/tmp/scratch.tex
kck at kck-desktop ~/tmp $ synctex view -i
3:1:/home/kck/tmp/./scratch.tex -o scratch.pdf
This is SyncTeX command line utility, version 1.2
SyncTeX result begin
Output:scratch.pdf
Page:1
x:171.128296
y:134.764618
h:133.768356
v:134.764618
W:343.711060
H:6.918498
before:
offset:0
middle:
after:
SyncTeX result end
--
It only works when a redundant /./ is placed in the filename path. The
output of synctex edit is also the same strange syntax.

I'm on Linux x86_64.

I find this syntax for synctex very counterintuitive, and I wonder if
this is intentional and will it last?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I just joined the list now.