[tex-live] xelatex + files with non-ascii chars

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Aug 10 17:02:30 CEST 2011

Am Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:36:25 +0200 schrieb Arno Trautmann:

>> What happens if you try to compile this 8-bit encoded document with
>> pdflatex

>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \begin{document}
>> \input{tüte}
>> \end{document}

>> (with and without that tüte.tex exists)

> Ok, after some trouble with producing a non-utf8 document,

I should have thought to provide a minimal example which doesn't
need reencoding. This one can be use with pdflatex and lualatex to
try out the different versions:

\documentclass{article}
%\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
%\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\begin{document}
% \input{t^^9fte} %applemac ü

% \input{t^^fcte} %ansinew ü for pdflatex, luatex utf8 ü

% \input{t^^c3^^bcte} % utf8 ü in pdflatex notation
\end{document}

For me on miktex only the versions with an utf8 ü works. With
pdflatex the last, with lualatex the second but - unsurprisedly -
only if inputenc is not used. The other versions gives Windows API
errors with pdflatex as the argument of is not valid utf8, and file
not found errors with lualatex.

> I can tell
> that this document fails with all pdf, xe and lualatex. But my error
> messages are not as fun as Alan's and Philip's:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `t�te.tex' not found.
>
> Why don't I have a funny \relax {\begingroup … ? :(

Because your document is not in utf8.

--
Ulrike Fischer