[tex-live] PStricks is broken with XeTeX with latest TeXLive update

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 13:28:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>    Also see the last change in dvipdfmx.cfg:
>    http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg?r1=20016&r2=21663
>
> Thanks for the report.  That dvipdfmx.cfg (the default from the dvipdfmx
> sources) should not have been installed under Master.  I reverted it.
>
> I added a patch into the source tree so hopefully we will not forget
> next time.

For future reference it would useful to add some comments to dvipdfmx.cfg:

First: mention that a system can have more than one dvipdfmx.cfg, how to
check which one is being used, and how users can create customized
configurations.

%% On a given system there may be more than one version of dvipdfmx.cfg
%% The one that is currently used may be determined by running:
%% kpsewhich -progname=dvipdfmx -format='other text files' dvipdfmx.cfg

%% Users may wish to modify the configuration by placing an edited copy in
%% the TEXMFCONFIG (kpsewhich -expand-var=\$TEXMFCONFIG) path,
%% For example, if $TEXMFCONFIG expands to
%% $HOME/.texliveYYYY/texmf-config, the new configuration file would be:
%% $HOME/.texliveYYYY/texmf-config/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg

Second: because many pstricks users rely on xelatex, restore the vital
bit of information that -dSAFER breaks pstricks:

%% This ps2pdf command does not work with pstricks --
%% /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/dvips/pstricks/pstricks.pro (for
%% example) needs to be accessed, but ps2dpf uses "-dSAFER"
%% to block loading external files (for the obvious security reasons).
%%
%% To enable pstricks, either add the "-dNOSAFER" option to the ps2pdf
%% command line or (if it is available on your system) use the rungs wrapper:

%%	D  "rungs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sPAPERSIZE=a0 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-dCompatibilityLevel=%v -dAutoFilterGrayImages=false
-dGrayImageFilter=/FlateEncode -dAutoFilterColorImages=false
-dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode -sOutputFile='%o' '%i' -c quit"

> Herbert, next time you notice severe problems like this (I suspect
> usually you would be the first person to do so), please feel free to
> report them.
>
> Thanks,
> karl

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia