[tex-live] TeXLive has no stable source tree and resorts to DVD with binaries?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 22:42:05 CEST 2011

Thanks for your nice reply and see about source building below:

On Monday 11 April 2011 17:02:02 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> why you would want to build TeX Live
> from source
It would take much time to explain all, but basically I've concluded, that as
a system maintainer I should rebuild all from source to:
*] ensure consistency with source code;
*] at least sometimes have some CPU optimizations;
*] have another consistency check at build time...

TeXLive seems to be quite self-confined, so the last argument is of lesser
importance than otherwise, but not irrelevant anyway...

I kindly ask someone to explain a few more things (ignore me if you have no
time):

a] what extra care has been taken to fill contents of branches like branch2010
comparing with a mere snapshot of development tree in a state between
releases?

b] does branch2010 coincides with some released DVDs?

c] does rsync://tug.org::tldevsrc gives the same as checkout of branch2010?

d] executable binaries (and the like) in CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet usually
get updated once per year with the new release?

e] script files (what else?) in CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet get updated on a
regular basis to provide bugfixes? What about further improvements, how long do
they lie in trunk before being merged in tlnet?

(anyone thinks I can google this as fast as it takes writing questions and
answers, then reading here?)