[tex-live] TeXLive has no stable source tree and resorts to DVD with binaries?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 14:47:37 CEST 2011

On Sunday 10 April 2011 16:24:29 Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> The Build tree is only for developers, not for users.  If someone
> really wants to compile the binaries himself, he should check out the
> sources of the latest stable release.

/Short got long, but anyway/

Please explain about what is a stable release here? What svn co? I can do
checkout, but don't know where else to begin with my basic question: in what
way should I maintain usable TeXLive installations^, if I want each to be both
locally compiled from sources and as recent&tested as possible -- for
production use?
(I realize this is all a Free Software with no warranties, but there ought to
be some answer better than others...)

^ since TeXLive can change in many ways, I consider it better to have a folder
with installations (say 2009, 2010 etc); there are still quite many things
unclear to me, say, what are the external dependencies of TeXLive? (implies
how soon an old installation might become useless in an up-to-date system)

PS:
I've never tried, so could someone tell me how hard it is to build a whole of
TeXLive? (I'm on gentoo with all of the development tools and quite a bit of
experience)