[tex-live] How many current TeX Live users are there?

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 5 14:36:35 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-05 13:58, George N. White III wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how many TeX Live users are out there?
>
> What is a user?  Do you count the linux user who installs a source
> package and gets pdf docs formatted by the TL provided by the linux
> distro?   Some widely used tools such as R (free Splus implementation)
> have their own package manager and use TeX for documentation.
>
>> It would be difficult to combine the download statistics from all
>> mirrors I assume or are these available (e.g. downloads per year).

Rephrase, how many installations of TeX Live (and MacTex) are there.

See my earlier comment too:

Would it be interesting to provide tlmgr and/or the installer with an
explicit (yet default yes preselected) question to anonymously report an
active installation (at installation time and e.g. each year after the
installation)?