[tex-live] How many current TeX Live users are there?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 10:35:27 CEST 2011

Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know how many TeX Live users are out there?

dunno

> It would be difficult to combine the download statistics from all
> mirrors I assume or are these available (e.g. downloads per year).

such a measure is bound to over-report: changes of isp and changes of
address within the same isp for desktops, laptops downloading from
different locations, mirrors sucking from master sites[*] could all
cause it.

and then there's the simple tedium of writing a script that analyses it
all; there are thousands of downloads in my ftp, rsync and http logs
combined.

finally, there's the business of collecting these reports from everyone
who offers tex live for download (which is probably the worst part...).

i don't think it's a goer, to be honest.

robin