[tex-live] fontspec 2.1 and some font packages clash

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 14:40:43 CEST 2010

Hi Ross,

Not sure if you're on the TL mailing list at the moment; see below for a clash with xunicode and amssymb. Is there any reason in particular for xunicode to define the following maths characters?

\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2132}{\Finv}
\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2135}{\aleph}
\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2136}{\beth}
\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2137}{\gimel}
\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2138}{\daleth}
\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2141}{\Game}

As far as I know these are the only excursions into maths territory that xunicode makes; I can't see the gain of providing them here.

Cheers,
Will

On 21/09/2010, at 9:18 PM, Leo Liu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>          When I updated fontspec to v2.1, I find it includes xunicode by default. This makes an error “Command `\Finv' already defined.” when using amssymb (or some other font package) AFTER fontspec. I know it will be fine if fontspec is loaded later. However, it makes classes for general purpose using fontspec (for me, all ctex*.cls in ctex pkg.) clash, since it’s impossible to decide when and whether math packages are loaded. A simplified example:
>

> % foo.cls by Alice
>
> \ProvidesClass{foo}
>
> \RequirePackage{fontspec}
>
> \endinput
>

> % bar.tex by Bob
>
> \documentclass{foo}
>
> \usepackage{amssymb} % oops!
>
> \begin{document}
>
> Test only.
>
> \end{document}
>

> Is there any suggestions for this problem? I guess it would be OK if fontspec provides an extra option that suppress xunicode for a future load.
>
> Many thanks.
>

> Leo

-- Will