[tex-live] Feature request : upgrading and fonts

Benoit RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Fri Sep 17 16:29:29 CEST 2010

Le 17 sept. 2010 à 14:28, Norbert Preining a écrit :

> On Fr, 17 Sep 2010, Benoit RIVET wrote:
>> A recent message in news:fr.comp.text.tex <8b2bf7e5-f83f-40dd-9dd7-d57ea6de0fea at t7g2000vbj.googlegroups.com> shows how frustrating it proves for the average user to upgrade and find out that all previously added fonts have vanished.
>
> Reading the man page of tlmgr would help and explain how to achieve
> exactely that.
>
> In short, simply put all the maps into
> 	TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap-local.cfg
> and call *once* tlmgr generate.

Thanks for the tip.

> BTW: You said: "upgraded" ... neither MaCTeX nor TeXLive allows for
> upgrades, but only new installations ...

While technically true, this is irrelevant to any user like me who think that installing TL 2010 over TL 2009 _upgrades_ their TL distribution. After all, we never need to reinstall texmf.local Why should we _manually_ care about font maps when all .sty, .cls and the like installed in texmf.local work out of the box after installing a new TL ?

Running an automatic script during the installation process of TL 2011 (and later) should be an easy solution for people like myself.

Benoît RIVET