[tex-live] Feature request : upgrading and fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Sep 17 15:49:56 CEST 2010

On 17 September 2010 Benoit RIVET wrote:

 > After upgrading from MacTex 2008 to 2009, then from 2009 to 2010, I
 > happened to stumble upon the problem of re-enabling the fonts added
 > in the previous installation. After each upgrade, I had to manually
 > edit updmap.cfg, track the differences between the previous and the
 > brand new file, add again all .map files I had previously
 > installed, and rerun updmap-sys --syncwithtrees (in case some map
 > file happen to be missing both texmf.local and the new texlive).

In addition to Norbert's response:

If you have to install fonts which are supported by getnonfreefonts,
you should better use this program to install them.

   http://tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/

If you installed a newer TL release, all you have to do is to run

   getnonfreefonts-sys --refreshmap

Please note that getnonfreefonts doesn't use updmap-local.cfg because
it has the installation instructions already built-in.

 > A recent message in news:fr.comp.text.tex
 > <8b2bf7e5-f83f-40dd-9dd7-d57ea6de0fea at t7g2000vbj.googlegroups.com>
 > shows how frustrating it proves for the average user to upgrade and
 > find out that all previously added fonts have vanished.
 >
 >> after the installation even after I ran
 >>
 >> sudo texhash
 >> sudo updmap-sys
 >>
 >> the fonts installed under the local TEXMF tree were not accessible to
 >> MacTeX2010. I had to manually update every single map file, e.g.,
 >> like:
 >>
 >> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=uop.map

This is one of the fonts (URW Classico/Optima) supported by
getnonfreefonts.  In principle it's possible to update the map files
even if fonts were installed manually.  But getnonfreefonts -r
re-generates map files only for the fonts which are actually
installed.  You can check with getnonfreefonts-sys --lsfonts before.

If a manually installed font is not recognized, then some files are
not installed where getnonfreefonts would install them.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25