[tex-live] tlmgr list requires remote repo?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Sep 14 05:20:05 CEST 2010

Would it be possible for tlmgr list to work even if the package repository version does not match?  I thought there was a local copy of the database that was sufficient for this purpose.  The idea is that some actions (list, show) are useful even if you're not using the latest version of TL.  As it is, I need to tell TeX Live Utility users that the program is basically non-functional unless they install TL 2010, so I'm working on an update that will give users some less-cryptic feedback on the version mismatch.

$ tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 17611 (2010-03-30 01:21:59 +0200)
tlmgr using installation: /usr/local/texlive/2009
TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2009

$ tlmgr list
tlmgr: package repository http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet
The release version of the installation source and the installation media
do not agree: source: 2010, media: 2009
Please fix your location http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 4091.