[tex-live] Graphics Inclusion Problem.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 14 14:15:31 CEST 2010

Howdy,

This was originally brought up on the xetex list since it was related to a similar problem there which has been solved. It is really off topic for that list and, possibly, more on topic here.

Given the file abc&def.eps if you compile the file

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{abc&def}
\end{document}

using pdfltex WITH --shell-escape, i.e., full shell escape, you get an error implying a missing quote in the epstopdf.pl call:

**********
l.6 \includegraphics{abc&def}

? epstopdf ($Id: epstopdf.pl 18319 2010-05-17 16:34:21Z karl $) 2.16
!!! Error: Cannot open abc: No such file or directory

while the compile runs without error if you use the default restricted shell escape, i.e., you don't use the --shell-escape option.

I know Heiko knows about this from the xetex list (I had the shell escape backwards in my original comment there) but haven't heard any more.

I'm not trying to rush anything but just want an acknowledgement that it is a known problem.

(PS: someone else on the xetex list confirmed the problem.)

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)