[tex-live] apropos

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 10 11:52:41 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> > along that line on CTAN but my memory can be very faulty)?
> >
> > See http://az.ctan.org/keywords for the web interface.
> >
> > Karl:
> >> Looking at that mail now, I'm not sure that Jim's keywords need be the
> > only source.  The package summaries (<caption>s in Catalogue terms) also
> > seem like they could be used.
>
> Can someone explain me how the
> 	keyword -> package
> link is done? Is there a file that relates to that?
>
> I could parse that into the tlpdb (like the catalogue version, etc)
> and add support for tlmgr search --keywords ...
>
> But I need some readable format for that.

i suspect it's all in a database.  he seems to have derived the stuff
from all over, but i can't be sure (jim's offline for a few days).

it should be easy enough to suck the stuff from the db -- it'll probably
be postgres, which interworks well with pd scripting languages i assume.

one source was no doubt the "bytopic" file that we have in catalogue
distributions.  that is somewhat useful (i occasionally spot wrong or
missing attributions) but it's now too large to be a reasonable thing to
view as a web page (imho).  i reckon it's crying out for jim's
treatment, but i've not been watching jim's work as carefully as i
perhaps ought.

anyway: from files.byname:

2010/09/06 |     329893 | help/Catalogue/bytopic.html

not as huge as (obviously false) memory painted it, but not a rapid view
for all that.

robin