[tex-live] Fortran and Pascal sources

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 16:40:47 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 08:55:44AM -0400, Bob Tennent wrote:
> Hi. I'm preparing CTAN distributions of two packages, hoping to get
> them into texlive. The packages have Fortran and Pascal source files.
> (I'm not the developer of either.) One can build the executables
> either directly (using g77 or FreePascal, respectively), or indirectly
> (using f2c or p2c, respectively, followed by gcc). Does texlive have a
> preference? Or are both feasible/infeasible? Note that the f2c route for
> Fortran would require the availability of libf2c at link time, even if
> the translation were done a priori.
>
> Bob T.

Hi Bob,

I think it would be always much more usefull to compile the original
sources directly through g77 and FreePascal or some other compiler (I
don't know about the state of gpc).  I don't think that users should
care about the existence of libf2c, but you might link that statically.
If you are able to prepare the source code, though it might not be
yours, it would also be helpfull to prepare some autotools
configuration, if there are available modules for fortran and/or pascal.

bye ingo