[tex-live] luainputenc broken after updating from version 18253 to 10326 with tlmgr

Benoit RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Fri Nov 19 21:10:37 CET 2010

Le 19 nov. 2010 à 16:12, Ulrike Fischer a écrit :

> Am Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:21:03 +0100 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>

>>> Sorry, I was too quick in thinking everything is OK again. I must
>>> have checked before the update finished, since the same problem shows
>>> up again. I guess something changed in the latest LuaTex versions,
>>> which causes the new lua*** collection of packages(or part thereof)
>>> to be incompatible with the Luatex 0.60 as installed in TeX Live
>>> 2010.
>
>> There is no such primitive as \luadirect (and never has been in any
>> TeX Live version of luatex).
>
> \luadirect is a command defined by (currently) luacode.sty:
>
> First, the exact syntax of |\directlua| has changed along version of
> Lua\TeX, so this package provides a |\luadirect| command which is an
> exact synonym of |\directlua| except that it doesn't have the funny,
> changing parts of its syntax.\footnote{And also, it expands in two
> steps instead of one. If you don't known what it means, then you
> probably don't need to.}
>
> I think the definition was previously somewhere else and probably
> Manuel simply forget a \RequirePackage while rearranging the code.

I sent a message to Manuel, who has been kind enough to answer very quickly. As a matter of fact, I happened to stumble upon a real bug, since Manuel had decided that luainputenc should not load luatextra anymore; but failed to check that luainputenc did not use any alias defined by luatextra. A revised version of luainputenc should be on its way to CTAN correcting the bug.

He also pointed out that the other bug I reported (\hbar being defined twice) was a side effect of loading luatextra, hence fontspec. Hopefully, with the new version of luainputenc, loading luatextra won't be necessary anymore and this second bug will automatically vanish. My first example shall compile again with my favourite choice of fonts :

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
\usepackage{lipsum, fouriernc}
\begin{document}
\lipsum
\end{document}

Anyway, it's been quite instructive for me to read all your answers in and outside the list : thank you all for your patience and cooperation,

Benoît RIVET