[tex-live] texmf tree

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 18:45:50 CET 2010

Dr. Clea F. Rees <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:

> I noticed that the documentation for tapir is under latex. Should it
> not be under fonts?
>
> Also memdesign is under fonts which does not seem especially
> appropriate.

no comment.

> The licence for nkarta seems questionable. It is public domain only
> barring objection from the original author of karta who has evidently
> proven uncontactable.

exactly so.  nkarta itself is pretty old, though, and no comment from
the author of karta has arisen.  so who knows?

there are a painfully large number of packages on ctan, whose author is
uncontactable for a proper statement of licence.

> CTAN says that the licence of termcal is unknown. The comments in the
> sty file refer the reader to copyright information in the dtx file but
> I cannot find any such information in that file. However, the comments
> do strongly suggest that the author intended the package to be released
> under some sort of free licence. But it does not seem entirely clear.

but i don't (and afaik karl doesn't either) think one should assume
anything based on "hints".  it's sad -- but the possible consequences,
of making an incorrect assumption about something whose author turns out
to be litigious, are too ghastly for us to take chances.

robin