[tex-live] Feature requests tlmgr

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 16 16:03:37 CET 2010

On 2010-11-16 15:46, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 04:59 , Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> update --list *IS* shows *ALL* updates, also those of texlive.infra
>> (more specifically those of the critical packages).
>>
>> And if you want to automatize it I recommend reading the section
>> on MACHINE READABLE in the tlmgr manager, then you can easily parse
>> that and write a nice cron script, which you hopefully will send
>> back to the lsit here!
>
> I wrote a Python script to do this for the latest version of
> TeX Live Utility.  The tlmgr part is platform-agnostic, so at
> least shows how the parsing might be accomplished.  Watch out
> for status; I only count additions or updates.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/source/browse/trunk/agent/update_check.py
>
> One thing that's worth noting: if you use mirror.ctan.org to
> count updates, launch tlmgr with the /actual/ host to perform
> the update.  Mirror synchronization can make this really
> confusing, otherwise.
>
> There's a launchd property list and installer script also,
> but those are Mac-specific.

Thaks but it still needs some extra installs:

$ ./update_check.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./update_check.py", line 4, in <module>
    from CoreFoundation import CFUserNotificationDisplayNotice,
CFUserNotificationDisplayAlert, CFBundleCreate, CFBundleCopyResourceURL,
CFPreferencesCopyAppValue
ImportError: No module named CoreFoundation

At the moment I'm writing a bash script for this too at the moment.

I prefer python too, but without special dependencies. does Ubuntu
support CoreFoundation?