[tex-live] TeX Live installation tools

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Tue Nov 16 14:13:06 CET 2010

T T wrote:
> On 16 November 2010 11:26, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:
>> but that is exactly want I want!
>>
>> w32client already has a suitable uninstaller which only remove desktop
>> icons, menu entries etc.
>>
>> I'm trying to create a w32transplant script to speed up TL installation on
>> windows for 'install-party' sessions such that we do not waste too much time
>> installing in these sessions.
>
> Ah, in that case Godspeed!
>

>> As far as I can see this is what I need to do
>>
>> * add the same items to the menu that the install-tl script does (you
>> already mentioned how this can be done)
>>
>> * add items to the desktop
>>
>> * add to PATH variable
>
> Yep, all as in w32client.
>
>> * adjust TeXWorks (I haven't looked at how this is done yet)
>
> You don't need to do anything special about TW (unless you want to
> preconfigure it, which we don't do in TL).  TW autoconfigures itself
> on the first start.  Configuration is stored by default under
> $TEXMFCONFIG/texworks (can be changed, see TW_LIBPATH and TW_INIPATH
> in texmf.cnf).
>
>> I would also like to be able to do the following
>>
>> Assume the donor TL is installed in C:/texlive/2010 and we zip from texlive
>> and down
>>
>> Then we would like to be able to transplant this to say
>>
>> D:/foo
>>
>> such that the new installation lives at
>>
>> D:/foo/texlive/2010
>>
>> Most of the work is already done in w32client, so I'll just copy some of
>> that.
>
> Yep, that should work.
>
> On 16 November 2010 12:49, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>> On Di, 16 Nov 2010, Lars Madsen wrote:
>>> BTW: can we ask tlmgr (or other items in TeXLive perl bundle) for this
>>> information
>>>
>>>  my $TEXDIR="$vars{'TEXDIR'}";
>>>   my $TEXDIRW="$vars{'TEXDIRW'}";
>>>   my $TEXMFSYSVAR="$vars{'TEXMFSYSVAR'}";
>>>   my $TEXMFSYSCONFIG="$vars{'TEXMFSYSCONFIG'}";
>>>   my $TEXMFVAR="$vars{'TEXMFVAR'}";
>>>   my $TEXMFCONFIG="$vars{'TEXMFCONFIG'}";
>>>   my $TEXMFLOCAL="$vars{'TEXMFLOCAL'}";
>>>
>>> because the create_uninstaller needs it (btw, this is not documented in
>>> the perldoc info from TLWinGoo, I usually just read the source anyways)
>> On Di, 16 Nov 2010, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>>> The installer writes them to tlpkg/texlive.profile .
>> Don't use texlive.profile,
>>
>> simply ask
>>        TEXMFSYSVAR ->  kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSVAR
>>        etc
>>        TEXDIR -> kpsewhich -var-value SELFAUTOPARENT
>>        TEXDIRW is a problem, but I think this is not necessary
>> because it is only used for the portable installation setup.
>>

> Or, once you loaded tlmgr in your w32transplant.pl:
>
> my $TEXDIR = $Master;
> my $TEXDIRW = $TEXDIR; # these differ only when installation is on
> non-writable media
> # default texmf trees locations, use kpsewhich if different
> my $TEXMFSYSVAR = "$Master/texmf-var;
> [...]

that was exactly was I was doing, though I went through init_local_db();
and $localtlmedia, seems $Master is much easier.

The full uninstaller, seems to be working just fine, though it did leave
some of the texlive dirs and some scripts, but it did delete everything
else.

What did not work well though as adding the TeXLive Manager to the menu,
  it showed up, but kept on giving an error about not being able to find
perl.exe

I'll do a bit more testing.

--

/daleif