[tex-live] texworks in TL 2010

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sat Nov 13 15:31:41 CET 2010

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) a écrit :

> OK, but if they can be taught to type
>
>     \documentclass {book}
>
> then they can at the same time be taught to type
>
>     %&PdfLaTeX
>     \documentclass {book}
>
>         or
>
>     % !TEX TS-program = PdfLaTeX
>     \documentclass {book}
>
> can they not ?  It is one extra line, infinitesimal in terms
> of what they will need to learn/type in order to meaningfully
> populate the voids between \documentclass {book} ... \begin {document}
> ... \end {document}.  N'est-ce pas ?

I don't really think it's infinitesimal, because 99% of LaTeX users
don't really understand what a "format" and an "engine" is, and if they
want to understand the difference between "pdflatex" and "pdftex", they
will have to get informations about formats and engines that are quite
well hidden on the internet... so most of them will just report a bug
saying "my LaTeX document doesn't compile!" or, more probably, just give
up, and tell their friends that this TeX thing is definitely too
complicated... Anyway, this wouldn't really be wrong.
--
Elie