[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:00:50 CET 2010

** Norbert Preining [2010-11-10 10:37:26 +0900]:

> Hi Reinhard,
>
>>>  Imagine a network installation where one user wants the TLcontrib,
>>>  but the other doesn't.
>>
>>Imagine a network installation provides "scheme-full" and a particular
>>user wants "scheme-basic".
>>
>>Isn't this the same "problem"?
>
> No. tlcontrib has some beta testing packages before full release to TL,
> so that is something not everyone wants.
>
> user mode tlmgr is the answer.
Or ability to install into $HOME/texmf. If someone want to use
'tlcontrib' (read: expreminental) one could use its $HOME/texmf (or
another 'temporary' texmf root/tree, as Ulrike suggested eariler) and
after testing remove them (of course this would be painful: a user have
to remember that he/she installs and where and a system administrator
should prepare to figure out problems with user installations and ML
take in mind that sittuation).

Anyway this is good idea, for testing, experimenting and if something is
broken (or urgent work in test period) one could switch off this tree
and use 'stable' TL.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
I'm pretending I'm pulling in a TROUT!  Am I doing it correctly??