[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 10 00:10:46 CET 2010

Am 09.11.2010 um 15:13 schrieb Norbert Preining:

> On Di, 09 Nov 2010, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> No, miktex doesn't allow this. If you mount a complete tds-tree and
>> you get another tds tree. All applications (latex, bibtex,
>> makeindex, ....) will find their files in this tree only if the
>> files are in the normal subfolders.
>
> So then all the complains here boil down to the request:
> 	Please add a way to easily add another texmf tree to the
> 	search path.
> Right.
>
> Well, as already said, that is something we might think about,
> but it needs some internal discussion, of course.

Have you also thought about how the issues created by TLcontrib (or any other additional repository) could be solved? Imagine a network installation where one user wants the TLcontrib, but the other doesn't. Maybe we could have different roots for the users via user-specific texmf.cnf files, but I think at the moment we cannot have tlmgr download the files from the TLcontrib repo into a separate dist branch.