[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 18:14:07 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:

> Lars Madsen wrote:
>>
>> Following up on my own thread
>>
>> We have the following situation
>>
>> a dir names, say d:/foo/bar which is the root of a TDS structure
>>
>> if I do
>>
>> tlmgr conf texmf TEXINPUTS d:/foo/bar//;
>>
>> and then
>>
>> kpsewhich myclass.cls
>>
>> I get the reply
>>
>> d:/foo/bar/tex/latex/myclass/myclass.cls
>>
>> but if I try to compile
>>
>> \documentclass{myclass}
>> \begin{document}
>> test
>> \end{document}
>>
>> latex cannot find myclass.cls
>>
>> WTF?! (pardon my language)

"texdoc kpathsea" might lead you to try:

latex -kpathsea-debug=3  ...

Given a sufficiently large scrollback buffer you should find something like:

kdebug:hash_lookup(TEXINPUTS.latex) => .:$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//

>> I was under the impression if kpsewhich can find a file, then latex can as
>> well.

That was OK back when you only had to worry about tex vs latex, but now you
have context, luatex, etc. so more risk of name clashes.

>> What is going on here?
>>

> even with
>
> tlmgr conf texmf TEXINPUTS d:/foo/bar/tex/latex/myclass//;
>
> latex cannot find myclass.cls
>

> --
>
> /daleif

On a Mac, you would need something like (all one line):

$ tlmgr conf texmf TEXINPUTS.latex
'.:<somewhere>/foo/bar/tex/latex//:$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//'

No idea what quotes you need in Windows.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia