[tex-live] TEXINPUTS on windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Nov 6 21:48:52 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:28:04PM +0100, Andreas Hirsch wrote:
> quoting Ulrike Fischer, [06.11.2010 21:18 +0100]:

> >> TEXMFHOME is not inside texlive tree, its location should be somewhere
> >> in the user's home (or whatever Windows equivalent of it is).
> >
> > What I meant is that Lars would like to add an additional root to
> > TEXMFLOCAL. E.g. As miktex hadn't luatex until last month I used for
> > some time the luatex from w32tex.org in a minimal texmf. In the
> > texmf.cnf I had e.g. a setting
> >
> > TEXMFLOCAL    =
> > I:/TeX-Roots/UFlocaltexmf,I:/TeX-Roots/winfonts,I:/TeX-Roots/biblatex-beta
> >
> > (the actual roots varied, many of them where added only temporarly).
>
> As I remember, Lars mentioned 'simply users'.
>
> In the meantime, very special things were discussed.
>
> Could we move back to the main problem? What sort of problem 'simply
> users' are confronted with which could not be solved putting files in
> localtexmf?

Presumably you mean texmfhome? Which has the advantage that no
filename database needs updating.

I advise very inept users just to keep extra stylefiles with the
documents which need them because I see no way to make them
understand the TDS.

<rant>I am annoyed as hell that so many people nowadays don't know their
way around on their own system.</rant>

--
Siep Kroonenberg