[tex-live] 64-bit OS X

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 26 12:09:16 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have downloaded the pretest TeX Live (not in form of MacTeX, but as
the regular unix script). Since the binaries for 64-bit Snow Leopard
have been added this year - is there a reason why they are not
"recognized" by default?

      if ($OS eq "darwin") {
        # We never want to guess x86_64-darwin even if config.guess
        # does, because Leopard can be 64-bit but our x86_64-darwin
        # binaries will only run on Snow Leopard.
        $CPU = "universal";
      } elsif ($CPU =~ /^i.86$/) {
        $CPU = "i386";  # 586, 686, whatever
      }

This is (though I admit it's ugly) code that we use in ConTeXt to
determine the platform:

# if running Snow Leopard or later
# better: /usr/bin/sw_vers -productVersion
if test `uname -r|cut -f1 -d"."` -ge 10 ; then
  # if working on 64-bit hardware
  if test `sysctl -n hw.cpu64bit_capable` = 1; then
    # snowleopard32=TRUE
    platform="osx-64"
  fi
fi