[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue May 25 17:10:54 CEST 2010

Hi Taco,

tahnks for the nice feed back.

On Di, 25 Mai 2010, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> * it would be really nice if the tl installer could be made to run
>   an initial
> 	luatools --generate
>   in post-install because otherwise the 'context' command does
>   not work out of the box.

What about adding something to the context packages post action, so
that luatools --generate is called whenever context is updated/installed?

> * fmtutil does not want to generate the context mkii formats, even
>   though they are defined in fmtutil.cfg. Maybe this is because there
>   are two entries with the same name?

Is that new? WHat do you mean with "does not want to"?
	fmtutil-sys --all
should create all formats. It is true that --byfmt does not work
because it does not distniguish between different engines.

> * it would be even nicer if fmtutil could be made to support mkiv
>   formats as well. The creation command is:
>
>   context --make [en|nl|fr|ro|de|it]
>
>   [|] == alternate choices
>
>   even just 'en' would be really nice to have.

But it doe snot fit into the way fmtutil is calling the engines, right?

> * because $TEXMFCACHE is not set in texmf.cnf, the context luatex-cache
>   folder ends up in my $TMP directory (but that's ok, it works)

Any other suggestion?

Have in mind that we are dealing with multi user installations, where
should the output of luatools --generate go to? Into a per user setting?

BTW; this is one of the open problems I posed I don't know years (well,
more or less ;-) ago, how to deal with multi user systems. Unfortunately
Hans was ignoring that completely as he is single user single windows
running, but it *is* a problem.

As long as the lua cache cannot be split into:
- system cache for the system files (texmf-*)
- user cache for ~/texmf or whatever
this is unfortunately a pain.

> * perhaps the pxfonts and txfonts packages can be added into
>   scheme-context. context uses these for math in the default 'palatino'
>   and 'times' typescripts.

If you want so please add them there, or tell me and I do it, no problem.

> * in tlmgr --gui, it was not at all obvious to me that you can click on
>   the 'Loaded repository: none' to actually load a repository.

Yes, it is only an additional feature, you can go to Menu->tlmgr and
load the repository form there. The rest is a trick I did to make my
own life easier ;-)

On Di, 25 Mai 2010, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> An addition (but I think Karl is aware of that already) the targets of
> the scripts 'rlxtools' and 'ctxtools' are not executable yet.

Ahh, someone has fixed that while I was fixing and writing the email ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert